quinta-feira, julho 20, 2006
domingo, julho 09, 2006
Canonical, Ubuntu?s parent company has announced the dapper-commercial repository, where one will hopefully find packages released by commercial companies (read non-open-source) for use by Ubuntu users. Right now, all the repository has is Opera 9, and RealPlayer 10. Hopefully as time progresses, we will see more software, like, say, Skype, that are useful to users presently, though they are not open source, in this repository.
To read more and learn how to add the repository on your Ubuntu Dapper, click here
* Once you get started, you?ll only stop because you?re exhausted.
* It takes another experienced person to really appreciate what you?re doing.
* Conversely, there?s some odd people who pride themselves on their lack of experience.
* You can do it for money or for fun.
* If you spend more time doing it than watching TV, people think you?re some kind of freak.
* It?s not really an appropriate topic for dinner conversation.
* There?s not enough taught about it in public school.
* It doesn?t make any sense at all if you try to explain it in strictly clinical terms.
* Some people are just naturally good.
* But some people will never realize how bad they are, and you?re wasting your time trying to tell them.
* There are a few weirdos with bizarre practices nobody really is comfortable with.
* One little thing going wrong can ruin everything.
* It?s a great way to spend a lunch break.
* Everyone acts like they?re the first person to come up with a new technique.
* Everyone who?s done it pokes fun at those who haven?t.
* Beginners do a lot of clumsy fumbling about.
* You?ll miss it if it?s been a while.
* There?s always someone willing to write about the only right way to do things.
* It doesn?t go so well when you?re drunk, but you?re more likely to do it.
* Sometimes it?s fun to use expensive toys.
* Other people just get in the way.
segunda-feira, julho 03, 2006
Its very simple to install this great application on Ubuntu, i m using the 6.06 Dapper Drake version of Ubuntu, but it should work on any other version, so lets see how to install it:
First of all you need to download the DBDesigner package, you can get it from here:
Grab the rpm version.
After downloading this file you will need alien to convert it to .deb, if you don't have it installed, just type this on a terminal:
sudo apt-get install alien
Now, go to where you downloaded the rpm package and install it using:
sudo alien -i DBDesigner4-0.5.4-0.i586.rpm
And now the trick to get it working, if you try to open the DBDesigner it will give you an error saying that it cant open the shared library libborqt-6.9-qt2.3.so, to fix it do the following:
First Download the library package and extract it using:
tar xzvf kylixlibs3-borqt-3.0-2.tar.gz
After extracting it do the following:
sudo cp kylixlibs3-borqt/libborqt-6.9.0-qt2.3.so /lib/libborqt-6.9-qt2.3.so
Now your DBDesigner should be working, the executable file DBDesigner4 can be found at /opt/DBDesigner
Hope it helps!